Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Captain's Log : A Pirate Story: Albums of the Year - 2005

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Albums of the Year - 2005

There was no reason for me to produce a list of my Top Albums in 2004 because such a list would have contained only Green Day's American Idiot. 2005, however, managed to produce enough good music to necessitate a list of 10 albums which I actually had to whittle down from about 15 favorites. [Note: Kanye West will not be making this list because while I do enjoy his music I can't stand him as a person]

10. Alkaline Trio - Crimson
But why?? The Alkaline Trio creeped into the Top 10 this year because I previously hated them and thought their whole shtick was pretty lame. A friend from work insisted that I really could not write off a band based on their look alone without listening to this album. He was correct. The album is good enough to be number 10, and more importantly I learned to stop being creeped out by assholes in suspenders and eyeliner.

9. Eisley - Room Noises
But why?? Eisley consist of three nerdy sisters, their brother, and the family best friend. Nerds usually make the best musicians, so I thought I'd check this album out when I found it laying around the WVOU studio in September. I burned it and fell in love. Check this one out.

8. The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
But why??The Mars Volta make number 8 on my list this year because when their music isn't creeping the beejeezus out of me I consider it top musicianship. I must admit that I don't entirely understand them and their musical vision, however, so no top 5 for these guys. Seriously though...you could replace that old "halloween sounds" cassette with this album

7. Weezer - Make Believe
But why?? Because in a bad year Weezer still makes better music than most bands out there. Make Believe isn't their best release ever (that honor goes to Pinkerton, of course) but still some songs on here you're not going to want to miss. My suggestion? Track 10 - The Other Way

6. The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
But why??As always an album completely original and imaginative. I wish I knew what went on in Jack White's head though. Most people would probably have this in their top 5.

5. Ok GO - Oh No
But why??Ok Go is probably one of my favorite bands. They write incredibly catchy indie pop songs and they don't take themselves too incredibly serious. If you haven't seen their video for A Million Ways yet you can check it out here.

4. Dane Cook - Retaliation
But why?? Because who says comedians can't make a top 10 albums list? Dane Cook has set all types of comic records for his release this year, which hints to the fact that he might be a little bit funny, right? So if you don't know who Dane Cook is and you've never heard any of his material then you're probably a close-minded asshole. Check this album out if you've already checked out his first one, Harmful if Swallowed.

3. The Cribs - The New Fellas
But why?? This is my token music snob choice, but only because you're probably too lazy to find out about a band like The Cribs. They are a power trio from Yorkshire, England and similar to Eisley they are comprised of three brothers. This particular album is incredibly poppy and fun. I can't stop listening to it. My recommendation? Track 3 - Martell

2. Fall Out Boy - From Under the Cork Tree
But why?? I heard they might win a grammy. Shut up.

1. Motion City Soundtrack - Commit this to Memory
But why?? The top 10 list was going just fine until I realized that this album would probably never crack anyone else's top 25, let alone top 10. I don't know what it is about MCS that makes me appreciate their music more than most other bands. I really like the moog synthesizer they use, but it's mostly the lyrics I like. This list is incredibly telling about my musical interests. I'm all over the place.


**Kanye would have been 8 or 9 had I been including assholes in this list*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home