Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Captain's Log : A Pirate Story: George Martin

Sunday, October 16, 2005

George Martin


"There! I did it! I defiled a timeless piece of art! For my next trick, I will paint a clown face on the Mona Lisa while using the Shroud of Turin as a dropcloth!" – Jim Carrey


There once existed the greatest rock and roll band to ever grace the planet Earth. They were known as The Beatles to some, but also as “pretty awful,” to one man. This man was George Martin, who went on to produce nearly every Beatles record ever made including Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, and Sgt. Pepper’s.’ At one point he was knighted, which now officially makes him “Sir” George Martin. He is widely respected and considered among the top producers ever in the profession.

This was the extent of my George Martin knowledge until just recently when I came across a 1998 project he had lent his name to. “In My Life” (pictured above) is a compilation of Beatles songs Martin had produced. The stipulation? All of the songs are performed entirely by B-list musicians or actors/actresses who have no business lending their voices to Beatles songs. Though the album is a train wreck you should check out for humor purposes only, the following songs:

1. Friends and Lovers – Sean Connery

2. Come Together – Robin Williams

3. I am The Walrus – Jim Carrey

**As you might expect, Robin Williams completely tears to shit the once great Beatles song which is now twice-ruined (F*ck Aerosmith).**

The Carrey version of I am the Walrus is completely listenable, however. Enough so in fact that I played it on my radio show last week as part of the Beatles block to a good response. One thing making this song listenable is Jim Carrey’s self-deprecating approach to covering a Beatles song, as noted in today's quote at the top of the page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home